Back in February, fellow X-Men-obsessed blogger Xavier Files threw down a challenging gauntlet of an X-Men quiz on Twitter:
First person to DM me with all 10 without Google gets to cut the request line pic.twitter.com/XydU6Jb6RE
— Xavier Files (@XavierFiles) February 22, 2017
Let me tell you: these questions are some stumpers. I’m a tremendously large X-Men buff with a ridiculous mastery of mutant trivia, but my knowledge pales in comparison to folks like Xavier Files blogger Matt or Jay & Miles (which is fair, seeing as it’s their job to explain the X-Men).
Still, I’m always up for a challenge, so I spent a few minutes thinking, jotted down my answers, and threw my hat into the ring. And, lo and behold, I was the person with the most correct answers! I got a staggering six right, although I contest that the phrasing of one of them probably should have earned me a seventh point ;)
Nonetheless, to the victor goes the spoils – in this case, my choice of an X-character for Xavier Files to profile! I wracked my brain for my favorite B- and C-list X-Men who had histories worthy of a lengthy write-up highlighting their best stories.
Despite very nearly picking erstwhile Nightcrawler lover Cerise and hijab-wearing Muslim mutant Dust, I picked a young mutant who has been through a surprising amount of plot twists in the past decade – from young upstart to romantic lead to walking wounded to ne’er-do-well student.
That mutant is Hellion, and now you can learn all about him at Xavier Files! Once you’ve caught up, head to the Guide to New Mutants & Young X-Men to start reading.
Oh, did you want the answers to those trivia questions?Click to expand the answers.
- Any two of Graydon Creed, Abyss, Kiwi Black, and Stefan Szardos. (I didn’t get this one – I could only think of the first brother).
- Five (I also missed this one; most of these cartoons are after my time!)
- Avengers Annual #10
- Sarah Grey (This one was tricky; Sarah was a short-lived Claremont suggestion for the title and was soon replaced in the pitch by Dazzler, which was my answer.)
- Lee Forester
- Angel (This was the question with tricky wording – I took it to mean the first X-Men who was a legacy character of another X-Man. However, Marvel previously had a Golden Age character named Angel, so X-Men’s Angel was actually the group’s first legacy character).
- The Brotherhood
- Age of Apocalypse (I almost got this one wrong, but quickly amended my answer after my initial submission when the answer suddenly popped into my head.)